Dairy-free Chocolate cupcakes with Chocolate Icing. A vegan take on a delcious and classic flavor combination.
Yield: 12 large cupcakes
6.5 oz/185 g canola oil
15.5 oz/441 g water, 70°F (21°C), divided
14.1 oz/400 g granulated sugar
13.4 oz/381 g all-purpose flour
2.3 oz/66 g Valrhona cocoa powder
.35 oz/10 g baking soda
.14 oz/4 g salt
.84 oz/24 g white distilled vinegar
.21 oz/6 g vanilla extract
1. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, blend together oil and 12.2 oz/348 g water. Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; blend until well combined. Add dry ingredients to oil and water and mix at low speed for 1 minute.
2. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, vanilla and remaining 3.2 oz/93 g water. Add to batter and mix for 2 minutes. Scrape batter into greased cupcake pans and bake at 300°F/149°C in a convection oven for about 25-30 minutes. Cool and unmold.
Dairy-free Chocolate Icing:
3.5 oz/100 g high-quality vegetable shortening
5.3 oz/150 g unsweetened chocolate, melted at 100°F/38°C
5.1 oz/145 g light corn syrup
.17 oz/5 g salt
3.3 oz/95 g water, 100°F/38°C
.17 oz/5 g vanilla extract
14.1 oz/400 g confectioners’ sugar (10X)
3.5 oz/100 g Valrhona cocoa powder
1. In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, cream together shortening and melted chocolate.
2. In another bowl, combine corn syrup, salt, water and vanilla; set aside.
3. Sift together confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder and add to shortening mixture. Gradually add corn syrup mixture and mix until blended. Store icing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or at room temperature (70°F/21°C) for up to 1 month.